Monday, June 8, 2009

...And Nothing But the Truth

A recent conversation with my son:
 
"Um Dad?"
 
"Yeah Jonathan?"
 
"I uh...," he says shyly, "I saw some of my favorite baby blankets in my sisters room and I wanted to know if I could have them back."
 
I chuckle.  "Let me get this straight bud.  You want baby blankets?"
 
He nods eagerly.
 
"Why?"
 
"Because they're my favorite."
 
I think quick, and come up with an option where everyone wins and I'll get a chuckle.
 
"Don't you have your favorite baby blanket on your bed anyway?"  (It's actually his Winnie the Pooh comforter that was his crib set...it clashes his Lightening McQueen set now, but why bother?"
 
"Ummm yeah."
 
"And did you know those baby blankets aren't for your sisters?"
 
I chuckle at his screwed up surprised face...gets it straight from his mother.  "They're not?"
 
"Nope, they're for Mom."
 
"Why does Mom need baby blankets Dad?" he asks, chuckling.
 
"She doesn't need them now, but she'll need them when you're older."
 
"Why?"
 
"Because she'll want little reminders that she can hold in her hands to remind her that you were once a little baby who puked on her all the time!"
 
The infectious laughter begins, "No!!!  That's not why!!!"
 
"Actually dude, it is.  She wants to keep them to remind her that in the future when you're taller than either one of us, she wants those little reminders that you were once her little baby.  You okay with that?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"You ready for bed now?"
 
"Yup."
 
"All right, I love you, see you in the morning."
 
"And um Dad?"
 
"Yeah bud?"
 
"Should I go ahead and put them back?"
 
I bust up with a deep belly laugh.  Then quickly stifle it because the girls just went to bed too,  "Yeah buddy, in the morning, go ahead and put them back."
 
"Love you Dad."
 
"Good night man, love you too.

1 highly regarded thoughts:

Newer Post Older Post Home