Thursday, August 14, 2008

How Many Parenting Books Did I Read?

I had a coworker ask me that the other day. In truth I didn't read a single one. My wife Pink on the other hand was a baby and parenting book fiend. I know she read What to Expect When You're Expecting cover to cover, and I'm pretty sure she made a massive dent into What To Expect During the First Year.

In fact, I think she bought the Expecting book the week we found out bun number one was on the way. Once we'd gotten cozy at home and she cracked the book, we had, as some men dread...The Conversation.

Pink had this glow of "I am with child" and she was bouncing around sitting on the couch with me. Chances are I was trying to convince her to let me play on the PS2.

"So...you wanna read the book with me?" You could tell she was bursting to ask about it.

I took a deep sigh, and I knew what I was going to say ever since the bookstore. "Honey, if you think I'm going to read that thing cover to cover, you're a little out of it. I will, however, stop whatever I'm doing at any given time when you find something that I should know. I will stop, listen, and discuss."

I could tell she was a little disappointed, perhaps a little crushed, but I held my ground.

And that's how it went. We'd watch TV together and she'd read, and we'd turn off the TV and talk. I'd be playing on the PS2, I'd pause listen, and talk.

Do I remember what those conversations were about now, over 4 years later? Not a one. But I remember the fun we had during those discussions. Pink sharing tidbits of her worries, curiosities, and getting my opinions on everything infant.

But, as a stay at home Dad, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't check out parenting blogs and message boards. I'm a geek like that.

0 highly regarded thoughts:

Newer Post Older Post Home